Nigerian security agencies have arrested Nollywood actor and filmmaker Stanley Amandi in connection with an alleged plot to violently overthrow the administration of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, in what officials describe as a serious threat to Nigeria’s democratic order.
Amandi was arrested alongside several serving and retired military officers, following a covert intelligence operation that uncovered what investigators say was a coordinated plan involving propaganda, military action, and targeted violence aimed at destabilising the federal government.
This marks the first public confirmation of the actor’s alleged involvement in the suspected coup plot, sending shockwaves through Nigeria’s entertainment industry and political space.
Alleged role as propaganda strategist
According to security sources familiar with the investigation, Amandi was allegedly recruited to function as a civilian propaganda asset for the group behind the plot.
Investigators claim the suspected conspirators planned to deploy coordinated messaging, influence campaigns, and strategic narratives to undermine public confidence in the Tinubu administration and prepare the ground for a military takeover.
Sources said the strategy relied heavily on shaping public perception through social and informal media channels, portraying the government as illegitimate while presenting military intervention as necessary.
“The plan was not just about force; it was also about controlling the narrative,” a security official briefed on the investigation said. “That is where civilian collaborators allegedly came in.”
Amandi is a well-known figure in Nollywood and previously served as chairman of the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN), Enugu State chapter, giving him visibility and influence within creative and public circles.
Alleged plot included assassination plans
Officials disclosed that the alleged conspiracy went beyond regime change and included plans to assassinate senior political figures in order to dismantle Nigeria’s constitutional leadership.
Those reportedly marked as targets include:
- President Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- Vice President Kashim Shettima
- Senate President Godswill Akpabio
- Speaker of the House of Representatives Tajudeen Abbas
A senior government source described the alleged plan as “a direct assault on the Nigerian state and its democratic institutions.”
Authorities have not publicly detailed operational specifics, citing national security concerns.
Military confirms conclusion of probe
The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) confirmed on Monday, January 26, that it had concluded investigations into the alleged plot to illegally remove the government.
In a statement, the military said its investigation was conducted in line with established procedures and had been forwarded to “appropriate superior authority in accordance with extant regulations.”
The DHQ described the probe as comprehensive, noting that it examined “all circumstances surrounding the conduct of the affected personnel.”
It added that the investigation identified “a number of officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government,” describing such actions as incompatible with the ethics, values, and professional standards of the Armed Forces of Nigeria.
Court martial and civilian trials expected
Security sources said military officers implicated in the alleged conspiracy will face court martial proceedings, while civilian suspects, including Amandi, are expected to be prosecuted in regular civil courts.
Earlier reports in October indicated that at least 16 military officers were under investigation, though the army initially characterised the case as one involving internal indiscipline and breaches of service rules.
Subsequent intelligence reportedly uncovered a wider network, leading to additional arrests of both military and civilian suspects.
How the alleged plot was uncovered
Multiple senior administration insiders said the suspected coup attempt was foiled through a joint intelligence operation coordinated by the Department of State Services (DSS) and Army Headquarters.
According to sources, the plot began to unravel in late September 2025, when a military officer with direct knowledge of the plan alerted senior authorities. This triggered enhanced surveillance, intelligence gathering, and discreet arrests over several weeks.
Officials say the intervention may have prevented large-scale violence and political instability.
Silence from actor, presumption of innocence
As of the time of filing this report, Stanley Amandi has not issued a public statement, and his legal representatives have not commented on the allegations.
Security agencies stressed that all suspects remain innocent until proven guilty, and that the judicial process will determine culpability.
Wider implications
The case has reignited debate about civil–military relations, the role of information warfare, and the use of non-traditional actors in modern coup attempts.
Analysts note that alleged efforts to combine propaganda with military action reflect evolving tactics seen in other parts of the world, where perception management is used alongside force to legitimise unconstitutional takeovers.
The unfolding case is expected to attract intense public scrutiny as trials begin, with implications for national security, freedom of expression, and the responsibilities of public figures in politically sensitive periods.